Eugene Police are continuing to receive disturbing calls regarding women and girls being followed by suspicious male subjects in vehicles. A summary is provided here of recent cases, including more details of two cases noted in a Eugene Police news release sent out on Tuesday, February 10, 2015.
Police are asking people to please be especially mindful of personal safety practices, and if at all possible try to get a license plate and descriptions of vehicle and suspicious subjects inside, and to call 9-1-1 to report incidents such as the following:
(Reported February 11) – On February 6 at 5:15 p.m., an 8-year-old girl and her female friend were walking near Sandy and Oakway when they said an older model, brown sedan started following them. It had two people inside and the vehicle stopped near the girls and the passenger asked where they lived. The girls ran away and got inside a residence. The sedan drove down the driveway, then quickly changed direction, backing out. The victims were only able to see the passenger and reported he was an older black male with shoulder-length, dread locks pulled into a pony tail, and wearing baggy clothing. On a subsequent date, the member of the family noticed the same male approaching their front door, then he took off running down the driveway. Case 15-02381
On February 3, at 10:31 p.m., a female was walking near 24th and Hilyard. A 2001 to 2002 model, white Jeep drove alongside her at a slow pace. At 32nd and Hilyard, the Jeep pulled ahead and blocked her path. The male got out of the vehicle and began walking toward her. A friend happened along at that point and joined her. The male stopped walking toward her, stared at them, then got into his Jeep. He is described as a white male, “scruffy” facial hair, medium brown curly hair, basic frame glasses, and last seen wearing a charcoal grey fleece pullover, dirty jeans and dirty shoes. The male is estimated to be in his late 30s to early 40s in age. A similar incident was reported earlier that evening at 22nd and Olive. In this incident on February 3, at 8:38 p.m., a vehicle of the same description had followed a female and stopped repeatedly to ask if she wanted a ride. Case 15-01929
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Do not get into someones car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
- Walk confidently and dont avoid eye contact
- Dont let strangers into your space. Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you dont wish to approach you.
- Dont stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
- If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
- If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
- Use the buddy system when walking after dark. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
- Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and dont walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves