EPD Newsflash: Let the games begin! Eugene, better known as “Track Town, USA” attracts elite athletes and top track events, including this year’s 2016 U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials, beginning today and scheduled through July 10. Summertime means many great local events, from the Olympic Track and Field Trials, local celebrations at parks, and vacation travel opportunities. We would like to welcome our visitors as well as share some important tips for everyone. No matter where your travels take you, you can decrease your chances of becoming a victim by following these basic steps for Summertime Safety and Crime Prevention.
• Report any suspicious behavior, such as people loitering around buildings, bicycles and vehicles.
• Report any suspicious packages or items left lying around. If you see something that concerns you, don’t be afraid to contact authorities to flag it.
• Park in well-lit, high travel areas
• Lock your doors, close your windows and take your key
• Don’t leave ANYTHING in your vehicle
• Don’t leave your vehicle running unattended, even for a minute
• Be alert to your surroundings
• Travel in groups, carry your cell phone
• Walk in well-lit, high travel areas, avoid alleys and short cuts between buildings
• Guard your personal space
• Protect your purse and wallet
• Be alert while arriving and leaving your place of stay
• Enter through the main entry
• In your room, lock your door with the deadbolt and use the view hole before opening the door
• Lock valuables in the safe or take them with you
• Report suspicious persons to the front desk
If you feel threatened, immediately call police at 9-1-1.
Non-emergency Calls: (541) 682-5111
Crime Prevention: (541) 682-5137