A message from Rene Kane, Office of Human Rights and Neighborhood Involvement
As you probably know by now there have been a number of Asian-owned businesses that have experienced repeated vandalism (i.e. rocks thrown through their windows). This has been very stressful and expensive for the proprietors and a real burden on their businesses. Our police department has someone in custody which is good news.
We encourage neighborhood associations to support the impacted businesses (and spread the word to their neighborhood communities as well). This is one very practical way we can let them know the broader community cares and that we feel strongly that all members of our community should feel safe and welcome.
We encourage you to patronize the affected businesses whenever you can. Who knows, you might even see us there having lunch!
The businesses listed below are those that we know experienced vandalism. We’ve included their addresses and corresponding neighborhood association:
- Lotus Garden, 810 Charnelton (Downtown Neighborhood Association)
- Yi Shen, 1915 West 11th Avenue (Far West Neighborhood Association)
- King’s Asian Market, 2100 West 11th Avenue (Far West Neighborhood Association)
- Jade Palace, 906 West 7th Avenue (Jefferson Westside Neighbors)
- LZ Chinese Dish, 1099 Chambers St. (Jefferson Westside Neighbors)
- Chingu Restaurant, 1466 West 7th Ave. (Jefferson Westside Neighbors)
- Sushi Island, 3215 West 11th Ave. (West Eugene Community Organization)
Rene C. Kane
Office of Human Rights and Neighborhood Involvement
Our Mission: To support equitable access to services in City government, neighborhoods and community through active and inclusive engagement.