Spencer Butte Middle School to Operate As Shelter Again Tonight…Call for Warming Items at South Hills Egan Warming Center Site

Disaster responders with the local American Red Cross will assist people affected by widespread power outages in the Eugene area again tonight. Many residents have been without power since Wednesday, December 14, and with cold temperatures expected tonight, the Red Cross will open a shelter for people affected by the outages and in need of a warm and safe place to stay.

The shelter will open at 5 p.m. Saturday, December 17 and will be located at:
Spencer Butte Middle School
500 E 43rd Ave, Eugene, OR 97405

Individuals and families affected by power outages and in need of shelter assistance are encouraged to simply show up at the shelter for help. Community members may call 541-682-5900 for additional information.

Additionally, The Egan Warming Center will be open tonight. The Egan Warming Center is a coalition of community members representing service providers, religious congregations, nonprofit support agencies, social activist communities and local government who have come together to ensure that homeless people in Lane County have a warm and safe place to sleep when temperatures drop below 30 degrees between November 15th and March 31st. For the full list of sites that will be active please visit the Egan Warming center website: http://www.eganwarmingcenter.com/

The Egan Warming Center South Hills site at the Church of the Resurrection is in need of anything warm and dry; shoes, coats, sweaters, sleeping bags and so on. They could be left in a well labeled waterproof bag in front of the door directly to the right of the big red front doors (in other words the side door).

Reminder from the City of Eugene:
In response to the loss of power and continued cold weather conditions, community members are reminded to stay warm safely. If house is without heat do the following:

  • Use alternate heat source such as wood stove or fireplace. But avoid using any device not designed for heatinga home or space.
  • Be careful of fire danger when using candles
  • Generators or other devices powered by fuel that cause fumes should be placed outside the house to ensure safety.
  • Use just one or two rooms. Close off the rest of house.
  • Hang blankets over windows. Fill cracks around doors with rugs or newspapers.
  • Wear hats, especially when sleeping.

USE CAUTION: Take extra precautions when using alternative power and heat sources during inclement weather. Use only listed and labeled equipment. Never leave such items unattended. Read and follow all manufacturers’ instructions. The use of gas appliances, such as generators, grills and bullet heaters increase the number of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer”, it is an invisible,odorless, tasteless gas. Exposure to carbon monoxide may cause headache,dizziness, fatigue, weakness, nausea, vomiting, impaired vision, loss of consciousness and death. Battery operated carbon monoxide detectors are recommended. Make sure alternative heat sources are approved for indoor use. Pay special attention to clearance and ventilation requirements.

BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR: In addition,the City is encouraging people to be good neighbors. Those who are aware of a neighbor who is without power and may be vulnerable are encouraged to check on their safety and well-being if it is safe to do so. Those without power for an extended period are encouraged to shelter with family or friends who do have power. Local hotels are also an option for shelter. Lane County Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COAD) is available to provide assistance to vulnerable community members who may need help during this cold weather event. COAD can be reached at 541-246-4664.