Following is a copy of a letter sent by the Southeast Neighbors board to the Eugene Planning Division regarding the traffic issues found in the “Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA), Land Use File Number: TIA-16-0007” and in applicable Eugene Code Sections 9.8650 through 9.8680.
Public input and written testimony from neighbors is advised. Comments close Tuesday, January 10 at 5:00 PM. For more information, contact City Planner Erik Berg-Johansen (541) 682-5437 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 9, 2017
To: Erik Berg-Johansen | Associate Planner
Planning Division | City of Eugene
99 West 10th Avenue | Eugene, OR 97401
The Board of Southeast Neighbors Association welcomes Amazon Corners as a significant addition to our community. Studying the site plans, we like the commercial-residential mix, the proposed set-backs from the streets, enclosed parking areas, and the courtyard at the corner of 32nd Avenue and Hilyard Street.
We would appreciate your consideration of expanded traffic impact analysis and mitigation especially for the following areas:
- Hilyard Street at the intersections of 31st, 32nd and 33rd Avenues at East Amazon. We feel that in addition to vehicle traffic, there are significant pedestrian, bicycle and bus issues which must be addressed;
- Alder and Ferry Streets from 30th to 33rd Avenues because residents of Amazon Corner are likely to choose smaller streets such as Alder, Kincaid or Harris to reach Amazon Parkway/30th Avenue, or Ferry Street to access Willamette Street;
- Morning Traffic Counts specifically between the hours of 7:30 and 9:30 AM because of schools in the area such as Camas Ridge on 30th Avenue, Ridgeline Montessori School on West Amazon, Spencer Butte Middle School and Charlemagne Elementary School.
Our concern here is about increased traffic on adjacent streets in the neighborhood. We are also uneasy about the safety of pedestrian, bicycle and bus presence in this important area. To avoid future problems, we suggest mitigations such as:
- median refuges for vehicles at 31st Street and Hilyard;
- bike lanes on 32nd Avenue;
- median refuge for cars traveling south on 32nd Avenue;
- mitigation of head-on left turns at 32nd Avenue and Hilyard;
- a bus stop bump-out on Hilyard in front of Amazon Corners.
We urge you to consider traffic concerns provided as information to Southeast Neighbors by Fodor & Associates LLC to help ensure the safety and accessibility of our neighbors.
We would also like to see:
- a detailed rendering of the project showing scale and projections of the building;
- creation of 8 to 12 foot sidewalks with adequate setbacks.
Thank you for your consideration.
Respectfully submitted by the Southeast Neighbors Board
(541) 782-8736 / http://southeastneighbors.org
CC: Southeast Neighbors Association