Draft Meeting Minutes
by Duncan Rhodes
Introduction of the SEN Board
- Linda Heyl announced that the City Council passed a resolution opposing oil trains transiting through Eugene.
- Dennis announced that Tsunami Books faces termination of their lease. Their future is uncertain. A support event is planned there for Wednesday, February 8th, 10 AM to 9 PM.
Betty Taylor gave a reprise on the City Council:
- The Rental Housing Code has been renewed without the previous sunset provision.
- Next week the City Council work sessions will be on Downtown safety and sanitation, the smoking ordinance, a dogs ordinance. Inclusionary zoning, which had previously been scheduled, was bumped to make space for this.
- City Council meetings are the 2nd & 4th Mondays of each month at Harris Hall. The public is allowed 2-3 minutes each for public comment, beginning at 7:30 PM. Sign up for speaking begins at 7:00pm. Transitional housing and parks are future topics on their work agenda.
Amazon Corners Q&A session with Alissa Hansen, Eugene Planning Dept. (541-682-5508, Alissa.H.Hansen@ci.eugene.or.us) and Eben Fodor, Planning Consultant, Fodor & Associates (541-345-8246)
- Multiple comments by the audience concerned the Amazon Corners project. Most comments centered around the issues of the proposed five-story building height, traffic congestion caused by additional residents and businesses at the site, potential traffic mitigation and safety issues, and reduction in the quality of life of the neighboring residents.
- Alissa stated that the existing C-2 building code permitted structure heights up to 120 feet. Since the proposed building height was less than that, the Planning Department had no choice but to approve the project on those grounds. A TIA (Traffic Impact Analysis) was performed on the project by an independent engineer, and the City Traffic Engineer accepted that analysis as sufficient.
- Eben disputed the comprehensiveness and correctness of the TIA, stating that the analysis should have extended further to the west and south of the building location, should have included traffic counts during the morning rush, and did not adequately address all the traffic issues that would be caused by this project.
- The majority of audience members in attendance generally strongly opposed this project.
- An advisory motion was passed by a vote of 26 to 5 for the SEN Board to request an appeal opposing this project, upon the grounds that the TIA was inadequate. An appeal by Southeast Neighbors will cause the $250 appeal fee to be waived. Friends of Amazon Creek will be responsible for pursuing this appeal, not the SEN Board.
- An advisory motion was passed by a vote of 32 to 3 that a letter be crafted to the City Council, the Developer, and the Planning Department stating that the attendees of this meeting, while not necessarily representing the opinions of the entirety of the Southeast Eugene Neighborhood, strongly opposed this project as currently presented, and requests that the building height be limited to three stories and that the TIA area be expanded. Janet will write this letter, to be approved by email vote of the SEN Board. Update 2/15/17 – Letter follows:
Board Members Present: Heather Sielicki (Pres), Duncan Rhodes (Sec.), Len Epstein, David Monk, Deborah Noble, Dennis Hebert, Emily Fox
Board Members Absent: Lealan Swanson (VP), Ken Beeson (Treas.), Jenny Oberst Lupton
Neighbors Present (60): Alida Bevirt, Alissa Hansen, Ann Miller(?), Anne Burrowes, Betty Taylor, Carole Bennett, Charles Powell, Charlie Loeb, Christine Sundt, Cindy Allen, Clayton Gantier, Craig Starr, David Saul, Debbie Hebert, Debra Sthilaire, Dennice McDaniel, Dennis Casady, Diane Tuires(?), Eben Fodor, Fawne Donaldson, Gerald Astrella(?), Glissa Howell, Gwyneth Iredale, Hope Marston, James Brock, Janet Bevirt, Jerry Hambleton, Jerry Smith, Jess Roshale, Karen Cox(?), Kit Kirkpatrick, Laurel Burke, Linda Heyl, Lisa Lambert, Lisa-Marie DiVincent, Louis Nosce, Luke Habberstad, M. Cappel(?), Maggie Donahue, Marilyn Ripley, Mary Addams, Maura Egan, Mark Cohen, Nancy Classen, Nancy Schwieger, Paul Spragers, Pavel Gobanitchin (?), Philip Nesbitt(?), Piotr Esden-Tempsh, Rebecca Brooks, Riley MacPherson, Ron Bevirt, Rosemary Nigro, S. Fulton, Sandra Scheetz(?), Sally Elmstad, Seth Sadofsky, Taylor Winegar, Tim Lowery, Tom Halferty,
Guests: Eben Fodor and Alissa Hansen
Please indicate edits/additions in Comments below: