by Rene Kane, Human Rights and Neighborhood Involvement
Our annual Neighborhoods 101 Workshop is a great opportunity to meet people (like you) who are passionate about their neighborhoods. It’s a chance to learn more about Eugene’s neighborhood associations and discover ways to make your neighborhood even better!
Please join us!
- Thursday, April 6, 2017
- 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (a light dinner will be served at 5:10)
- Washington Park Center, 2025 Washington Street
This training is for you if any of the following apply:
- You’d like to meet other neighborhood board members and learn more about their successes… and challenges;
- You’re new to your neighborhood board (elected in the last year);
- You’ve never attended a neighborhood orientation or it’s been awhile since you attended;
- You want to know more about the responsibilities, roles and functions of neighborhood associations;
- You want to be better prepared to engage your neighborhood community in tackling issues you face; or
- You’re not currently active in your neighborhood association and you’re curious about what neighborhood groups do and how you might be involved in the future.
Here’s a summary of the agenda:
- Brief review: Neighborhood Handbook (contents/organization)
- Introductions: Human Rights and Neighborhood Involvement staff
- Let’s Chat: Learn about what makes other neighborhood board members “tick”; what inspires them, fuels their continued commitment and what challenges them. We’ll start with a few questions and let you ask your own.
- Exercise: Engaging your neighbors. We’ll share tools for finding out more about the groups and organization in your neighborhood. In line with the recent Resolution on Diversity issued by the Neighborhood Leaders Council, we’ll also talk about prevention and response to hate & bias activity in your neighborhood, and resources that HRNI and other community organizations can provideto help you to effectively involve your neighborhood community in addressing issues that affect them
Register for the survey at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NH1012017
Once you register, we’ll follow up with additional information. Please contact me at 541.682.6243 if you have any questions about the training.
Southeast Neighbors Board elections will be held on Thursday, May 4, 2017 at Hilyard Community Center. This year, six positions will be up for election to our neighborhood board; chair, vice-chair and four at-large directors.
Strong neighborhood engagement from people from all walks of life is the key to enriching our community. This class will give you the background you will need to serve. Please sign up today as this is the only time this class will be offered this year.